Tuesday, June 19, 2012

J-14 Exclusive: Q&A with Cher Lloyd

This former X Factor UK finalist is making waves with her first U.S. single "Want U Back" -- and we just can't get it out of our heads! After getting her big break on the British TV show, 18-year-old Cher Lloyd has gone on top the UK charts with her first album Sticks + Stones. Now, she's taking on America and sat down with us to talk all about her oh-so-catchy tunes, her edgy style, and what it's really like to live in a house with One Direction!

J-14: Why did you decide to audition for The X Factor UK?
Cher Lloyd:
When I was 16, I went to this big talent school in London to see if I could get in -- but they wouldn't let me in. I was really upset, but then I saw the X Factor ad on TV and my mom was like, "Let's do it!" I went and I did and I got through. It came at the perfect time for me.

J-14: There were lots of young, talented singers on your season of the show. What was it like living in a house with them, especially One Direction?
Cher:
Being in a house full of people I didn't know was scary! And because it's a competition, people want to be your friend [sometimes] and then they don't want to be your friend. There were some people I got on with, but they're all doing their own thing now and I'm doing mine. I haven't seen One Direction in, like, a year, but I love the boys and I love what they're doing.

J-14: What was the hardest part of being in the public eye at such a young age?
Cher:
People find it easier to do talk about you because they feel like they own a part of you. But when they say something nasty about me, I think of all the good things I've done. I haven't made it yet, but I'm a fighter -- and I'm working my butt off!

J-14: You have such unique style! What are some fashion tips that you live by?
Cher:
Well, if you show your legs off, don't wear the top half of you out -- but I think everybody knows that one! I'm not a big fan of the fake tan. I think natural is a better look. And I'd say, don't wear too many prints. If you wear a print on top, don't wear one on the bottom -- unless it's a good match!

J-14: Your song "Want U Back" is all about regretting breaking up with someone -- and then wanting to get back together. Has that ever happened to you in real life? What's your advice to girls who want someone back?
Cher:
I always do the wrong thing! I used to be the girl who would be really forward and confident. But I'd say to any girl: Do not ask for a guy back. It's not attractive. I know I'm kind of contradicting myself, but I'd say play it cool and make sure you feel like you look good!

No comments:

Post a Comment